Today at Friendly’s I told couple of my friends about the Khazar DNA project. At some point I realized that I am way too loud and lowered the tone , but it was already too late. Some people already gave me the half-head-turn and others, brace yourselves, the whole-head-turn. The funny thing is that I think they got more annoyed when they couldn’t hear me anymore. There is something about old warriors in the Middle Ages that fascinates us. This makes it even more sad that we don’t have better descriptions of the Khazars’ armor, clothes, and weapons. Our perception of the Middle ages is Western European in nature with knights, castles, and beautiful princesses. The Eastern European version is slightly different with steppe people, tents, and beautiful princesses. The Huns were not that different and they found their way to the history books and to our collective memory. Perhaps there is hope that one day the Khazars would too.
- On the fallacies of Altmetric OR how I fell asleep in Sheffield and woke up in Louisiana
- My article at “The Conversation”
- Responding to the criticism for Das et al. (2016)
- Uncovering Ancient Ashkenaz
- The Mountain Jews in the Caucasus as a potential source for the joke about the Jew who built two synagogues in an island
SciFund Ends!May 31st, 2012